Fish & Game on the hunt for a new Chief Executive
- Richie Cosgrove
Chief Executive position available
This is for a three year fixed term role located in Wellington with a nationwide influence
- Is your next step a significant leadership role that contributes to the management of New Zealand’s sports fish and game bird resource?
- Do you enjoy achieving important results in complex environments?
- Can you lead effectively from the centre by building and maintaining productive working relationships that enhance trust and understanding within a central organisation and across a nation-wide regional network?
- Do you enjoy influencing policy-makers, legislators, and engaging the court of public opinion for the betterment of New Zealand’s natural resources?
- Do you enjoy using your business acumen to identify and make the most of commercial opportunities?
- Do you have a clear passion for and commitment to recreation in the environment, and fishing and hunting in particular?
About the New Zealand Fish and Game Council
The New Zealand Fish and Game Council (the Council) provides advocacy leadership on behalf of anglers and hunters, and coordination to the twelve regional Fish and Game Councils to help them perform strongly and with high levels of integrity. Results are important to us and our work programme contributes to delivering better, smarter services in the national interest of all anglers and hunters. We are a small team with a challenging work programme that is looking for a new Chief Executive for the first time in a generation.
What's in it for you?
You will have the unique opportunity to lead an organisation that plays a critical and central role in the effective and sustainable management of New Zealand’s sports fish and game bird resource.
This multi-facted leadership role will provide you with the opportunity to test your professional abilities in an area that will be of deep personal interest to you.
You will work with some of New Zealand’s most deeply committed and passionate individuals who make a real difference to New Zealand every day.
What we need
To be successful in this position you will:
- Enjoy advocating on behalf of an organisation and all of its component parts.
- Have had previous success in positively influencing an organisation’s standing and influence at regional and national level to best effect.
- Enjoy success in supporting a governance body that is dedicated to its cause.
- Need experience in effectively managing a small-to-medium sized entity that sits at the centre of a regional network, and has to deliver effectively in a complex and highly political operating environment.
- Have had previous success in applying your business acumen to ensure the financial sustainability of an organisation.
- Need to be able to engage effectively and clearly; advocate the wider picture; and be firm and clear about bottom lines.
What the role involves
The Chief Executive provides strategic, operational, and management support and advice to the Fish and Game Council of New Zealand. The position is responsible for the overall organisational guidance of Fish and Game New Zealand (the collective name for the New Zealand and 12 regional Fish and Game Councils), ensuring the effective management of the organisation and its operations. The position leads a team of 7 staff, interacts with 12 regional Chief Executives/Managers, and reports to the New Zealand Council.
A job description can be downloaded here , by email request to firstname.lastname@example.org, or by telephoning Andrew on 021 0815-2893. If sending an email please use the subject line NZF&G Chief Executive.
Applications close at 5pm on Friday, 5 May 2017 and should be sent to Andrew Wilson at the email address above, or posted to Andrew at ForeConsulting, PO Box 25 264, Wellington 6146.