Reel Life September 2022
Planning for the opener
Hopefully, you have had time to plan out your opening weekend.
With school holidays in full swing and very little snow on the mountain fishing, opening day is a great option for families with school kids.
Regardless of whether you are heading out on your own or with other families, our staff are here to help if you have any questions about planning your trip.
We thought it would be a good idea to give you a couple of pointers so you can start your planning:
- Now is the time to fish low-elevation rivers that will get too hot in mid-summer. The Waitawheta, Ohinemuri and Waipa rivers fish better early in the season prior to heating up.
- On a similar note, higher elevation rivers will fish better later in the season. Catch rates on the Whakapapa, Awakino and upper Whanganui improve in December when fish get pushed upriver by the heat.
- Spring is always hit or miss with the weather, so it is a great idea to have a plan B lined up.
- If you are travelling to Rotorua for the opener, stop in for a fish in the blue springs.
- If you are taking kids along, make it fun, and they will want to come again.
Auckland Fly Fishing Anglers Club 50th Celebration
Clubs are the backbone of our fishing community, and the Auckland Freshwater Anglers Club was founded 50 years.
The club is now known as the Auckland Fly Fishing Anglers Club and will be celebrating 50 years of enjoying freshwater angling on Monday 10th October at 6:30 pm for a celebration of the club's half-century of service to anglers.
The event will be held at Orakei Community Centre (156 Kepa Rd, Orakei), and there is a $25 entry fee to cover food and drinks. Partners are welcome and please RSVP firstname.lastname@example.org.
Auckland Lakes have been stocked
All three Auckland Lakes have been stocked, so now is the time to go for a fish.
Quarry Lake, Whatihua, and Parkinsons Lakes were stocked this winter and will be fishing well until mid-October.
Unfortunately, Reel Life is paused during the winter so announcements for our fish stocking are only available on the Auckland/Waikato Fish & Game Facebook Page.
Lower Waikato Trout Contest
After a couple of years in hibernation the Lower Waikato Trout Contest is back on for 2022.
The competition will be held from Thursday October 13th to Sunday October 16th and covers the Waikato from Karapiro Dam downriver.
There are four locations to sign up and weigh in including Taupiri Tavern, Huntly Meat Co, Waikato Hunting & Fishing, and Cambridge Sportsworld.
For more information call Michael Lynch 027 621 4207 or go the competition web page.
Adam Daniel, Auckland Waikato Fish & Game