2023 Twizel Kids Salmon Fishing Day
- Central South Island Events
Organised by Central South Island Fish & Game. Supported by Mt Cook Alpine Salmon
At Loch Cameron (Glen Lyon Road 5km west of Twizel) on Saturday 4th November (will be held rain, hail or snow!) for families and their children who are between 4 and 11 years of age.
Parents, please remember this is a kid's fishing day.
This is all about giving kids an opportunity to catch a fish.
As such adults may assist but are not permitted to fish.
This is not a competition i.e. no prizes for the heaviest fish or biggest bag.
- Please park in the designated parking area (see map)
- Children must sign in at the help tent (from 8:30 a.m.) before fishing begins (9 a.m.)
- Once signed in find a place to fish around the Loch
- No fishing to start until the horn at 9 am
Things to bring
- Fishing tackle, rod and net (a limited number of loan rods will be available)
- Caregivers or parents must be present to supervise their own children
- Plastic bags and if you have it, a chilly bag/bin for fish
- Appropriate clothing for all weather conditions
- Nibbles and drinks for your children
- Sturdy shoes for walking on uneven ground
- All children between 4 and 11yrs who register are covered by a free fishing licence issued by Fish & Game.
- Fish that are successfully landed should be taken. To kill a fish, it is best done by a clean swift blow to the top of the head. Fish should be cleaned immediately and put on ice. This can be done by volunteers at the help tent. Please note: there is to be no gutting of fish around Loch Cameron.
- Only one salmon is to be caught off either of the two signposted peninsulas. Children are welcome to catch their second fish from other parts of the loch.
- Toilets and rubbish bins will be located beside the Loch.
- All fishing is subject to regulations set out in the South Island Sports Fishing Regulation Guide 2023-24.
- Please ensure all children take care with their fishing tackle. Hooks are difficult to remove from clothing and skin! Make sure there is enough room (4m approx) between you and other anglers when casting and always look behind before casting.
- Official helpers will be wearing hi-viz vests so you can approach them for assistance.
- Assistance from Fish & Game and helpers will finish at 12:30 pm.
- There will be no vehicle access to the edge of Loch Cameron during the event
- If your fishing gear has not been dry for 48hrs we recommend you clean it with a 5% dishwashing liquid solution and rinse before using in Loch Cameron. This helps stop the spread or introduction of any unwanted aquatic pests.
- Successful lures include; Ticer’s, Toby’s, Tasmanian Devils, & Veltic spinners
- Baits (shrimps, soft baits etc…)
For more information or if you have any questions about the event you can contact CSI Fish & Game on (03) 615 8400 or email firstname.lastname@example.org