Local Hunting Regulations
Game Bird Hunting Regulations and Guides are updated annually.
Please be aware at all times of local and national regulations to ensure the safety of others and the sustainability of game bird hunting.
Wellington Fish & Game Region
Hunting in Wellington
Some of the best quality waterfowl hunting in the Wellington Fish and Game region can be found in the public hunting areas. Any game bird licence holder who obtains our $5 game bird hunting access permit, may hunt the following wetlands after opening weekend for the remainder of the game season:
- Lake Wairarapa.
- Lake Omanu near Foxton.
- Lake Koitiata located 15 km north west of Bulls.
- Makerua Swamp 25 km south of Palmerston North.
- Moutoa Reserve is located 3 km south of Foxton.
- Pukepuke Lagoon is located 4 km north of Himatangi Beach.
- Waimahora Swamp is located 2 km west of Santoft.
- Pheasant and California quail hunting is available in 3 forests and 1 reserve. Waitarere Forest (Rayonier NZ Ltd); Tangimoana and Santoft Forests (Ernslaw One Ltd); and Tawhirihoe Scientific Reserve (Department of Conservation).
The Game bird Hunting Access permit includes maps and conditions of access and includes a number of areas within the Taranaki Fish and Game Region.
Rangitikei River Hunting
Rangitikei River Hunter Access booklet can be found below.
1080 is highly toxic to dogs. Toxicity can last for several months in the target species. If in doubt and you wish to hunt where 1080 warning signs are erected, check with your Regional Council (Manawatu-Wanganui 06 952 2800; Wellington 0800 496 734) or the land manager.
There are a limited number of balloted hunting stands available each year within some of the named conservation areas. These are advertised in mid-February each year.
Game Bird Hunting Regulations
Download the latest regulations for this region below.