Game Bird Season
2023 Game Bird Season Dates
- 2023 Licences are on sale now
- Sunday 2nd April is Pegging day
- Saturday 6th May is Opening day
- Monday 15th May, Day licences go on sale
- Adult Whole Season $107
- Junior Whole Season $25
- Child Whole Season $5
- Adult Day $25 from May 15th
- Junior Day $9 from May 15th
All licences are inclusive of the $5 Game Bird Habitat stamp.
GAME BIRD HUNTER’S CHECKLIST:
GET YOUR MUST-HAVES:
- A game bird hunting licence
- Regulations booklet (that applies to your region)
- ‘Non-toxic’ ammunition
- Confirm access with landowners (say ‘thank you!)
- Get permits to hunt on Fish & Game, DOC and forestry lands
SORT OUT THE MAIMAI
- Claim your hunting spot with the tag that comes with your licence
- Fix any leaks, rotten boards, seating
- Finish camouflaging the maimai with camo net or vegetation Find tips on building a maimai or camouflaging here
- Make sure vegetation isn’t blocking your firing zone or where the ducks will land
- Make sure your access path is cleared and safe to use
CHECK YOUR GEAR
- Clean & rig decoys – get a few new ones if needed
- Ensure your shotgun is in tip-top condition
- Make sure your shotgun magazine complies with the rules – look here for how to put a plug in your magazine
- Check and double-check that you don’t have any lead shot ammunition in your duck hunting bag
- Make sure your boots and waders are still waterproof
- If you are using a kayak or rowboat, ensure it’s shipshape
- If you are hunting on open water, check your lifejackets
- Continue your dog’s fitness regime, check vaccinations & worming
- Follow the advice of the Mountain Safety Council, experts in the safe handling of firearms. Click here.
- Practice your shooting – organise a clay bird session with your mates before the season starts
- Pattern your shotgun – get to know the ammunition and chokes you are using
- Practice your calling – make sure you know what you are doing with your duck call. For tips from NZ duck-calling champ Hunter Morrow, click here
- Practice with your dog – reinforce the basic commands and have a refresher on retrieving. Remember to keep your dog on a leash when moving through farm stock or meeting up with other people and their dogs.
Hunting away from home? Check the regulations for the region you’re going to:
- Carry hunting and firearms licence at all times
- Be safe with firearms and on the water - know the seven rules for safe firearm handling - click here
- Be an ambassador for hunters - hunt ethically & responsibly
- Clean your game bird harvest quickly to ensure the best quality meat for your table
- Bury waste after cleaning your birds
- Follow the rules
- Don't drink & hunt
- Don't leave rubbish at your stand
- Don't be unethical – respect your quarry and the hunting regulations
West Coast Hunting Spots
In this section:
2023 Season and bag limits
You'll find lots more information on other species on this page[game-bird-hunting-in-new-zealand/hunting-regulations/] in the North and South Island Hunting Guides. North Island...
Firearms Regulations Updates
Firearms regulation updates *ON 1st FEBRUARY 2022, NEW FIREARMS REGULATIONS CAME INTO EFFECT. * These measures were introduced to improve public safety...
Hunting rules - Regions with magazine restrictions
Game bird hunters are restricted to the number of shots they can use in game bird hunting in six out...
Stake your claim to a stand or maimai!
Game bird hunters - don't forget to stake your claim on your favourite maimai or duck shooting stand before the...