Wellington Weekly Hunting Report – May 4 2017
Image right: Not too long before it's all on (Credit Hamish Carnachan.jpg)
Only a few days out from Opening, there’s certainly much more of a buzz around ahead of the new season this time around.
And it’s easy to understand why that’s the case: simply put, there are way more ducks about – more than we’ve observed for years.
Indeed, only this morning ranging teams were about in the normally dry northern Wairarapa region running pre-season compliance checks and reconnaissance and there were ducks everywhere, on almost every pond we checked.
Like the entire lower North Island, this is likely due to there being so much water around and the very favourable breeding season which saw hens rear multiple clutches through to fledging.
So, if you thought you’d give skip hunting this year based on a couple of average years, don’t be crazy or you’ll miss out!
Get your licence here and get into what promises to be one of the best seasons for years.
Here are the prospects for Opening Weekend:
|Saturday||Mainly fine skies but strong south and south-west winds for the morning easing later. Perfect for moving the birds and around.|
|Sunday||Mainly fine day with light winds. Should still be plenty of hunters about to move the birds around for an early morning and evening|
|Monday||Strong nor-westerly developing throughout the day.|
|Saturday||A fine and frosty start but there’ll be plenty of hunters around to keep the ducks on the wing throughout the day.|
|Sunday||Fine and frosty first thing. Should still be a solid morning and evening shoot with loads of ducks around this part of the region.|
|Monday||Strong nor-westerly developing.|
|Saturday||Fine and frosty start to the season but there are plenty of hunters in the area to push birds around.|
|Sunday||Mainly fine day with light winds. Should still be plenty of shooting to keep the ducks on the wing early and again in the evening.|
|Monday||Mainly fine with light winds.|
Three day rain forecast
For the latest rain forecast click here
|Saturday 6th May||Sunday 7th May||Monday 8th May|
Make the most of this season
Don’t pack your gear away after Opening Weekend.
In recent seasons the best hunting has occurred weeks after what many consider the “main event” – the first Saturday and Sunday in May.
Wait and watch for the weather fronts to arrive and time you trip to your preferred hunting ground and you’ll get some exceptional hunting.
Hunting over the course of Wellington Fish & Game’s generous eight-week season means you’re really getting even better value for money from your licence purchase.
No compromise on Firearms Safety this season!
There should be no compromise on safety. Follow the seven basic firearms rules and you and your hunting party should stay safe.
1. TREAT EVERY FIREARM AS LOADED
- Check every firearm yourself.
- Pass or accept only an open or unloaded firearm.
2. ALWAYS POINT FIREARMS IN A SAFE DIRECTION
- Loaded or unloaded, always point the muzzle in a safe direction.
3. LOAD A FIREARM ONLY WHEN READY TO FIRE
- Load the magazine only after you reach your hunting area.
- Load the chamber only when ready to shoot.
- Completely unload before leaving the hunting area.
4. IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT
- Movement, colour, sound and shape can all deceive you.
- Assume colour, shape, sound, and shape to be human until proven otherwise.
5. CHECK YOUR FIRING ZONE
- THINK! What may happen if you miss your target? What might you hit between you and the target or beyond?
- Do not fire if you know others are in your firing zone.
6. STORE FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION SAFELY
- When not in use, lock away the bolt, firearm and ammunition separately.
- Never leave firearms in a vehicle that is unattended.
7. AVOID ALCOHOL AND DRUGS WHEN HANDLING FIREARMS
- Good judgement is the key to safe use of firearms.
Subscribe via RSS
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- July 2015
- June 2015
- May 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- December 2013
- March 2013
- September 2012
- July 2012