Where to Hunt Game Birds
Area A: Tararua/Northern and Eastern Wairarapa. All of the Wellington region east of main Ruahine and Tararua/Rimutaka ranges outside of Area A1.
Area B: Rangitikei/Northern Manawatu. All of the Wellington region west of main Ruahine and Tararua/Rimutaka ranges outside of Area B1.
Area A1: That part of the Wellington region that is east of the Rimutaka and Tararua Ranges, to the Waingawa River, south of that river and the Ruamahanga River to Wardells Bridge and then west of the Masterton-Martinborough Road to the Huangarua River, Ruakokapatuna River, and Aorangi Range to Cape Palliser.
Area B1: That part of the Wellington region that is south of the railway line from Marton to the Manawatu Gorge and then west of the Tararua and Rimutaka ranges to Turakirae Head.
- Lake Wairarapa.
- Lake Omanu near Foxton.
- Lake Koitiata located 15 km north west of Bulls.
- Makerua Swamp 25 km south of Palmerston North.
- Moutoa Reserve is located 3 km south of Foxton.
- Pukepuke Lagoon is located 4 km north of Himatangi Beach.
- Waimahora Swamp is located 2 km west of Santoft.
- Pheasant and California quail hunting is available in 3 forests and 1 reserve. Waitarere Forest (Rayonier NZ Ltd); Tangimoana and Santoft Forests (Ernslaw One Ltd); and Tawhirihoe Scientific Reserve (Department of Conservation).