Where to Hunt Game Birds
Area A: Tararua/Northern and Eastern Wairarapa. All of the Wellington region east of main Ruahine and Tararua/Rimutaka ranges outside of Area A1.
Area B: Rangitikei/Northern Manawatu. All of the Wellington region west of main Ruahine and Tararua/Rimutaka ranges outside of Area B1.
Area A1: That part of the Wellington region that is east of the Rimutaka and Tararua Ranges, to the Waingawa River, south of that river and the Ruamahanga River to Wardells Bridge and then west of the Masterton-Martinborough Road to the Huangarua River, Ruakokapatuna River, and Aorangi Range to Cape Palliser.
Area B1: That part of the Wellington region that is south of the railway line from Marton to the Manawatu Gorge and then west of the Tararua and Rimutaka ranges to Turakirae Head.
Hunting in Wellington
Some of the best quality waterfowl hunting in the Wellington Fish and Game region can be found in the public hunting areas.
Any game bird licence holder who obtains our Game Bird Hunting Access permit may hunt the following wetlands after opening weekend for the remainder of the game season or dates as printed in the permit booklet:
• Wairarapa Moana (Lake Wairarapa)
• Lake Omanu near Foxton (after Queens’ Birthday Weekend)
• Makurerua Swamp, 25 km south of Palmerston North
• Pukepuke Lagoon is located 4 km north of Himatangi Beach
• Pheasant and California quail hunting is available in 4 forests and 1 reserve. Waitarere Forest (IFS Forestry); Erindale Forest (Wairarapa Estate Ltd); Santoft Forests (Ernslaw One Ltd); and Tawhirihoe Scientific Reserve (Department of Conservation). The Game Bird Hunting Access Permit includes maps and conditions of access and includes a number of areas within the Wellington Fish and Game Region.
Pheasant Hunting at Santoft, Waitarere and Erindale Forests
Upland game hunting is now available in the Ernslaw Santoft and Waitarere forests in Manawatu and Erindale forests in the Wairarapa.
You must apply to Wellington Fish & Game by email or phone (06) 359 0409 by Thursday prior to the weekend you wish to hunt to book your hunting block.
If approved, you will be provided with a permit, maps of open areas, and advise you of other requirements for hunting in the forest.
A guide map of Ernslaw Santoft forest is available here.