Both Barrels July 2021
Still plenty of time to get outside and hunt game birds
Although most people put away their shotgun for another year after the duck season, there is still plenty of game bird hunting opportunities in the Hawke’s Bay region.
A friendly reminder that pheasant, California quail and pukeko seasons continue until the 29th of August.
There are good populations of both pheasants and quail along all the major rivers in the region and an abundance of pukeko in most areas.
We recently served up slow-cooked pukeko to a school group while doing some Matariki plantings at the game farm and it went down a treat so give it a go!
Hawke’s Bay Fish & Game encourages hunters to take advantage of the longer pheasant, quail and pukeko season and enjoy the great outdoors.
Try something new
Looking to impress family and friends with some fine dining but not sure what to try?
Try out this recipe for pot-roasted pheasant with cider and bacon from BBC good foods.
- 50g butter
- 2 pheasants, cleaned
- 100g bacon fat on
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 celery stick, chopped
- 4 sage sprigs, leaves chopped
- 2 eating apples, cored and cut into large chunks
- 500ml cider
- 300ml chicken stock
- 1 Savoy cabbage, finely shredded
- 100ml double cream
- mashed potato, to serve (optional)
- Heat oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5. Melt the butter in a large non-stick flameproof dish. Season the pheasants, add to the dish and brown on all sides. Remove from the dish and set aside.
- Add the bacon, onion, celery and sage to the dish and cook for 10 mins until the onion is soft and the bacon is crisp. Carefully pour off any excess fat.
- Return the pheasants to the dish and scatter over the apples. Pour over the cider and the chicken stock, bring to a simmer, cover with a lid and cook in the oven for 25 mins until the birds are cooked through.
- Remove the birds from the dish and keep warm. Return dish to the hob over a high heat. Let the liquid bubble until reduced by half, then add the cabbage, cover with a lid and cook for 3 mins. Add the cream, check the seasoning, and continue cooking for 1 min more. Serve the pheasant on top of the cabbage mixture with some mashed potato, if you like.
So far this season we have received over 226 duck band returns to the office which is a great result, these have all been added to the database and hunter’s letters sent out so you should have those if you have submitted a band and we thank you for doing that.
We expect to continue to receive small amounts as hunters submit the details from previously shot birds (we have even received some from the 2018 season so it is never too late!) so if you have one or two lying around, please submit the info and remember you will go into the draw to win one of five prizes of two boxes of decoys!
Banding together link: https://fishandgame.org.nz/game-bird-hunting-in-new-zealand/banding-together/
Game Bird hunter survey continues
The next period of the Game Bird hunter survey is set to take place on the 9th and 10th of July, this will be looking at the previous month of the season and focusing on upland game hunting.
If you get a call, the survey only takes a couple of minutes, and your input is greatly appreciated.
Nick page, Hawkes Bay Fish & Game Officer
- July 2023
- June 2023
- May 2023
- April 2023
- March 2023
- July 2022
- June 2022
- May 2022
- April 2022
- March 2022
- July 2021
- June 2021
- May 2021
- April 2021
- March 2021
- July 2020
- June 2020
- April 2020
- August 2019
- July 2019
- May 2019
- March 2019
- August 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- March 2017
- January 2017
- May 2016