Hunting News & Events
Keep up with the latest news and events here.
Here's what you need to know for the new 2018 Game Season.
For a start, here are some key dates and checklists.
March 15 – licences went on sale - click here to buy one!
Stake a claim – Pegging Day (aka tagging, marking) from 10am, Sunday, April 8
- Be ready for Opening Day – Saturday, May 5
- Upland game season ends most regions August 26
GAME BIRD HUNTER’S CHECKLIST:
GET YOUR MUST HAVES:
- A game bird hunting licence, regs booklet, and buy ‘non toxic’ ammo
- Confirm access with landowners (say ‘thank you’!)
- Get permit to hunt on F&G, DOC and forestry lands
SORT OUT THE MAIMAI
- Fix any remaining leaks, rotten boards, seating
- Finish camouflaging maimai with camo net or vegetation
Find maimai cover tips here
CHECK YOUR GEAR
- Clean & rig decoys – get a few new ones if needed
- Ensure shotgun in tip-top condition - get a few practice shots in at clay targets
- Continue your dog’s fitness regime, check vaccinations & worming
Hunting away from home? Check the regs for the region you’re going to:
http://www.fishandgame.org.nz (click on the regions link for regional hunting info).
- Carry firearms licence at all times
- Be safe - know the seven rules for safe firearm handling - click here
- Be sporting, hunt ethically & responsibly
- Drink & hunt
- Leave rubbish at your stand