Covid-19 info for Anglers
THIS PAGE WILL BE UPDATED FREQUENTLY
We are now in Level 2
10.45am 14 May 2020
Fishing is going to be almost back to normal.
- Retail stores will be open with some social distancing restrictions
- You can travel nationally and stay overnight while following public health measures
- You can fish from your boat again
- Seasons have not been extended, refer to the fishing regulations
- Public conservation land will be open but DOC huts and camping grounds have some guidelines
- Maintain social distancing from people you don't know and keep a record of everyone you come in to contact with
- Your social group is restricted to a maximum of 10 people but the smaller the group the better
- Fish safely in areas that you know and do not pose obvious risk
- Avoid sharing equipment with others
- Be safe in all your interactions as much as you possibly can
- If you are sick or have any symptoms as minor as a runny nose - Stay home
Fishing Licence Cards
Our supplier has advised they are processing licences normally.
Can I buy a licence online?
Yes you can. Please be aware that during the Covid-19 level 4 lockdown, the Government has advised everyone to stay home unless they are involved in essential services. Fishing has therefore been prohibited, please be aware of this when purchasing a licence during this period.
Day, short break and long break licences, if bought now must be for a date outside of of the level 4 lockdown. We recommend you do not buy one of these licences until the end of the level 4 lockdown is clear.
Fishing licence refunds
Refunds on fishing licences as a result of the COVID-19 lockdown are not generally available. There are some instances where refunds may be issued, and these will be treated on a case by case basis.
If you are living outside of New Zealand and you bought a New Zealand fishing licence and are now unable to travel to New Zealand, you may qualify for a refund. However, if you have already travelled to New Zealand and fished during the 2019/2020 season you won’t be eligible for a refund. Please contact the Fish & Game region you nominated during the licence purchase process by email. You will find the email address here
If you are a New Zealand resident and purchased any of the following fishing licences prior to the lockdown, for a time period within the lockdown, you may be eligible for a refund. Please contact the Fish & Game region you nominated during the purchase process by email. You will find the email address here
Adult Day licence
Junior Day licence
If you have purchased any of the whole season licences listed below, they are valid until 30 September 2020. We understand the lockdown period is an inconvenience, however no refunds, credits or extensions will be offered on these licenses.
Adult whole season
Adult non-resident (currently living NZ)
Junior whole season
Junior non-resident (currently living NZ)
Child non-resident (currently living NZ)