Species Requiring a Licence
The following is a list of species you need a Fish & Game licence to fish or hunt in New Zealand.
The Freshwater Fisheries Regulations 1983 Schedule 1 defines the following species as “sports fish”:
- Brown trout (Salmo trutta):
- Rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss, formerly known as Salmo gairdneri):
- American brook trout or char (Salvelinus fontinalis):
- Lake trout or char (Salvelinus namaycush):
- Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar):
- Quinnat or chinook salmon (Oncorhynchus tshawytscha):
- Sockeye salmon (Oncorhynchus nerka):
- Perch (Perca fluviatilis):
- Tench (Tinca tinca):
- Rudd (Scardinius erythrophthalmus) found or taken in the Auckland Acclimatisation District—
and includes any hybrid and the young, fry, ova, and spawn, and any part of any such fish; but does not include salmon preserved in cans and imported into New Zealand.