Local Hunting Regulations
Gamebird Hunting Regulations and Guides are updated annually.
Please be aware at all times of local and national regulations to ensure the safety of others and the sustainability of game bird hunting.
A more detailed map of the northern boundary can be found below. All Fish & Game regional boundaries are shown on the Walking Access Commision website.
Auckland/Waikato Fish & Game Region
Hunting in Auckland/Waikato
Hunting today suffers many threats; wetland drainage, habitat deprivation, pollution, the animal rights lobby, eco-fundamentalists, paranoia over firearms and worst off all, indifference.
- There are groups who safeguard and share your interests. To join a group concerned with gamebird hunting and the outdoors, please contact your local user group.
- Eden/Papakura/Clevedon/ Miranda: Bill Gordon, 15 Weston Ave, Papatoetoe
- Franklin: William Howard, 8 McGuires Rd, Tuakau
- Hamilton: Michelle Houghton: 19 Purcell Place, Hamilton
- Helensville: Keith Hargraves, 5 Solan Dr, Waimauku
- Huntly: Wayne Rendall, 23 Mary St, Huntly
- Kumeu: Mike Sheppard, C/- Westgate H&F, PO Box 584, Kumeu
- MercuryBay: Bruce McWilliams, 12 Sarah Ave, Whitianga
- Morrinsville: Merv Douglas, 109 North St, Morrinsville
- Ohinemuri: Josh Firth, 445 Awaiti Rd, RD 2, Paeroa
- Otorohanga: Bruce Bush, 3 Hinewai St, Otorohanga
- Putaruru: Martin Bennett, 689 Arapuni Rd, Putaruru
- Te Aroha: Irene Needham, 65 Gordon Avenue, Te Aroha
- Te Awamutu: Mart Preston, 167 Flat Rd, RD 5, Te Awamutu
- Te Kauwhata: Dickie Sansome, 42 Goodin Rd, RD 1, Te Kauwhata
- Upper Piako Management Assoc.: Mike O’Donnell, 116 RegentHeights, Thames
- Waitemata: Len Moule, 89 Lynden Ave, Northcote
Hunting on Fish & Game and Crown land
A General Authority (free to all licenceholders) is required to hunt on Fish & Game land – some 1700ha being owned by the Auckland/Waikato Region purchased from hunters’ and anglers’ funds. The Authority can be obtained by sending a stamped, self- addressed envelope to Auckland/Waikato Fish & Game, 156 Brymer Rd, RD 9, Hamilton 3289.
To hunt on Crown land managed by the Department of Conservation (DOC) you require a similar permit (also free) obtained from DOC.
Rayonier Forests: Tairua (Whangamata); Maramarua (Te Kauwhata); and Waihou (Te Aroha). Permits for Rayonier Forest blocks can be obtained from our office. The cost of the permit for the season is $50 and covers all four forests. This fee is to cover all processing fees, colour maps, as well as Public Liability Insurance while hunting in any of their forests.
Hunters requiring a permit must provide the following details & send into our office at the above address:
Name, address and phone number/s
Date of Birth
Game bird licence number
Firearms licence number
Dog registration number
Kinleith Forest: Owned by Hancock Natural Resource Group, Managed by Taumata Forests, Tokoroa.
Contact: Kinleith Forest Recreation Club, The Secretary, email@example.com
Take a mate Hunting - for only $2
Do you have a mate, relative, friend, co-worker or know somebody who is keen to give duck hunting a go, but doesn’t want to pay the full cost of a licence? If so, on a strictly first-come-first-served basis, limited to the first 100 hunters who write into the Auckland/Waikato office with their 2014 Game bird licence number, we will let you take your mate hunting on opening weekend for the $2 cost of the Habitat Stamp which is affixed to the licence – which as you will recall, is used solely to create, protect and restore wetland habitat.
The offer is strictly limited to those people (i.e. the mate) who have not purchased a licence before (and we have extensive database records on our computer going back for the last decade to check this) .The offer applies only to opening weekend – recipients of the mate’s licence must be accompanied by a whole season licenceholder – and it only applies to the Auckland/Waikato Fish & Game region. The mate must of course comply with the Game Bird Hunting Regulations. There has never been a better opportunity to introduce your friend, spouse, son or daughter to game bird hunting.
Game Bird Hunting Regulations
Download the latest regulations for this region below.