King Country Special Parrie Season Permit
27th & 28th February 2021
Select here to apply for permit
LIMIT: 10 Paradise Shelduck and/or 10 Pukeko per day per hunter.
HOURS OF HUNTING: 6.30am - 8.00pm
HUNTING AREA: All that area of the Waitomo District Council, (which goes to Mokau), Otorohanga, Taupo and Ruapehu District Councils, where these lie WITHIN our region. Please select here to view map.
- No shooting within 200m of the boundary of a municipal wastewater treatment plant.
- Carrying a Special Paradise Shelduck Season Permit while hunting is mandatory, including for landowners. $5 permit charge. Permits available from Auckland Waikato Fish & Game Council Hamilton office only. Please select the link above.
- You must ALSO have a 2020 gamebird licence, (unless you are the primary land-occupier on your own property), as well as the special permit.
- If you don’t have a 2020 season licence, you can purchase either one or two day licence/s as required. Note that, you cannot buy a 2021 season licence yet. However, the special season is covered by the 2020 licence, which remains valid until immediately before the new 2021 gamebird season opens in May.
- Hunters will need to find and make their own access arrangements with landowners who have paradise shelduck to hunt.
- The intent of this season is to break up large mobs of birds and to reduce damage to grass and crops, rather than targeting lone breeding pairs of birds.
- Do not shoot parry moulters, that cannot fly. They are typically in very poor condition/eating during the moult period.
- Please responsibly dispose of all guts/feathers/frames. If burying these, discuss where-to with the landowner first.
- Many hunters have parry meat made into sausages and/or salamis. Removing shot pellets will make this much easier for butchers and their machinery (& human teeth!).
- Hunting can only be undertaken with a shotgun of a 10 gauge or smaller that is capable of holding no more than 3 shells.
- You can only use lead shot if you are more than 200m from a waterway, or if you are using a sub-gauge shotgun, (this exemption does not apply on Fish & Game or DoC land this season). Otherwise please use steel or other non-toxic ammo.
- Rangers will be in the area checking hunters.
We wish you a safe and productive hunting experience.
Hunters requiring a permit must provide the following details which will be sent onto our Hamilton office, payment information (via internet banking) will be sent to you once you submit the information.